The Uxbridge Fire Department is asking homeowners to check the exhaust vents of...

their dryers, furnaces and other fossil-fuel-burning appliances to make sure they are not covered with snow.  If these appliances cannot vent properly deadly carbon monoxide gases cannot escape the home.

Removing the snow from around the vents enables the gases to escape rather than back-up into the home where they can have serious health consequences and possibly even cause death from carbon monoxide poisoning. Blocked dryer vents are also a leading cause of house fires as the dryer can overheat and ignite flammable material in and around the dryer and vent itself.

Maintaining the Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home is a critical step to ensure your family’s safety. All homes are required to have working Carbon Monoxide detectors outside all of the sleeping areas in the home.

- 30 –

For More Information:
Contact Colleen Baskin, Communication Officer,
Corporation of the Township of Uxbridge
Tel: (905) 852-9181 ext. 231
[email protected]