• Commissioner of Oaths


Commissioner of Oaths Services

The Township of Uxbridge offers Commissioner of Oaths Services.  Certain documents require a commissioner to certify that a required oath, affirmation or declaration have been administered.  Our Commissioner of Oaths will witness the signatures of people who are affirming/swearing the contents of a document to be true.  If you are seeking these services you must visit the Municipal Clerk's Department in person during regular business hours.  A document that is presented with the signature already included will not be commissioned by Township Staff, unless an original is made in the presence of the Commissioner.  

Please provide valid photo identification to have your signature witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths.

It is important to note that a Commissioner for taking Oaths is not the same as a "Notary Public".  A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, certify documents as true copies and to verify signatures.   If you require a document to be "notarized" as opposed to "commissioned", you will have to contact a professional lawyer or notary public entitled to practice law in Ontario.


The fee is $20.00 and is payable by cash or debit.  


The Township of Uxbridge Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents, at their discretion that include but are not limited to the following:

  • Consent letters for children travelling out of the country
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership (sworn statement for a Family Gift)
  • Affidavits/Declarations
  • Immunization exemptions
  • Insurance claims
  • Foreign pension or life pension statements 
  • Certify documents as "true copies"
  • Government related forms

The Commissioner of Oaths will not sign documents related to the following:

  • Wills or codicils to wills
  • Power of attorney documents
  • Divorce papers or separation agreements
  • Real estate documents, including transfer of land

We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

For more information on commissioning services, please contact the Clerk's Department at 905-852-9181.